Our school has had roots in the Morgan City community since September 4, 1893 when the first Catholic school was established by five Marianite sisters from New Orleans, with the aid of devoted area citizens. By 1957, the school re-located to the present physical plant which now houses Holy Cross Elementary and Central Catholic High School. In 1964 a new Church parish named Holy Cross was created in Morgan City and the elementary school was renamed Holy Cross School.
Major change came again in 1993 when Sacred Heart Elementary merged with Holy Cross Elementary. Faculty and staff numbers increased and classrooms were added to Holy Cross as enrollment nearly doubled.
A fire in August, 1999 destroyed the administrative/activity wing of the school requiring new construction and renovation of buildings. Although property was ruined, the spirit of our school community remained strong and intact.
The 2000/2001 school session, the new administrative building was completed and occupied. Rebuilding of the wing destroyed by fire was also completed and is now utilized to house programs for three- and four-year-old children. The Pre-K3 program introduced at Holy Cross during the 2000/2001 school year has met and exceeded our expectations.
In 2012, a new state-of-the-art library, computer lab, and six classrooms were added to the campus.
Holy Cross Elementary's faculty consists of 17 classroom teachers, six specialty instructors, two tutors, and six teacher assistants who continue today the tradition begun by the Marianite sisters over one hundred years ago.
TO HCES HOME PAGE
Holy Cross Elementary School
2100 Cedar Street, Unit 2
Morgan City, LA 70380